Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Sex Sells!!

Now now, how many of you thought that I am going to write a piece containing some explicit content about someone's escapades. On the contrary, what I intend to serve is a purely vanila blabbering.
Now that I have your attention let me be fast lest I loose it. Well here is what I have in mind. I am going to bore you with retrospection of performance of India at the Olympics. Now don't cringe away after reading this. Have patience and read the whole script.
Just for information India has won 16 medals at Olympics till date, 11 of them in field Hockey. And even the exploits of our hockey team are a distant memory. Whatever the optimists may say but lets face it we sucked at Athens. The fact this wasn't our worst of the performances makes it even more pathetic. I don't know whether this is just a just a genetic disorder. Government has its fair share of blame, as they never took sports seriously. Sports is not just an entertainment but it is a way to achieve excellence and pride in the community of nations. But lets face this too the likes of Vedpathaks and Malleshwaris were trained abroad this year(and that wasn't on uncle Sam's money but we taxpayers paid for that), and what was the result. A BIG ZILCH again.
Actually we Indians are so success starved that I was amazed to find how the media drooled on the intial successes of our atheletes in the qualifing rounds, by giving them a short lived demigod status. No disregard meant to Anju Bobby George and the Tennis Duo. But there was Michael Phelps trying to win 7 golds !! and also in the same village there was a contigent from a country of a billion people trying to win a single (elusive) medal. And finally it was an unknown saviour in Major Rathore who saved the blushes for India.

What do these above mentioned lines point. What do we lack, The govt. of India's support to the noble cause of sports. Naaaaah!! true but not in entirety. Of course Govt. has to be blamed since its the easiest thing to do, but what about our atheletes and ourselves. Sure people might say though we are a billion strong country but a vast majority of our brethrens are living in penury, but what about our 200 million strong middle class. How many of us would like to take up sports as our profession. I guess somewhere down in the history we lost our will to win. It's not always about money and sponsorships, or else how can you explain the exploits of the kenyan and ethopian atheletes. I'm afraid that if we allow ourselves to be befuddled by such garbage ramblings of some C-grade sports buff(I agree, I really suck at writing), our Olympic dreams will remain just that. To get ahead, there is need to invoke accountability. And this accountability is not of the Govt. but our atheletes and the society. HOw can we expect to win when we are not supportive enough to our younger generation, or else who knows I could have been an Olympian, seriously I wanted to be one, though only in my surreal world.
You know what prompted me to write this piece of shit."NANA PATEKAR QUALIFIES FOR NATIONAL SHOOTING COMPETETION". It just made me wonder if he can do it at the age of 50 (rest of line must be a foregone conclusion).

Chalo doston, alvida!! but tell me seriously how many of you thought this is about sex. haha.

Blogger Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home